Friday, April 15, 2011

The End

During this semester of literature class I felt as though as the semester began that I would dread this class because I was not a fan of reading or writing at all. With all the different novels and different things we began to read i realized myself being challenged by the readings. I actually began to enjoy reading and writing about the things that i learned during the readings. Blogging about my thoughts about the reading really helped me to solidify my thoughts on different things that i learned in each  book. The Hunger Games was probably my favorite novel that we read as a class. It opened up a whole different thought about what we are entertained by. It made me really sit back and think about what entertained me. It made me feel guilty about getting pleasure out of reading or watching a movie where people are getting hurt. This semester also really got me to go out there and find my own things that are good for you. I want to gain more knowledge about all aspects of life and i know now that a big way to gain knowledge is to read and to explore the arts. I really never knew that i would respond to literature in the way that i have. Reading good literature makes you look at yourself and really begin to question the things you do. I learned a lot from my classmates and especially my group mates and of course Dr. Mortimore.. I felt like my group and I got along really well and we all discussed everything thrown at us very well. Literature is important and I know that now.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you about this class being a good experience. It was refreshing to take a class based around discussion as opposed to lecture and note-taking. This is what more classes should be like. I felt like, through talking to my classmates, I solidified my opinions on a lot of things. I enjoyed all the books we have read aside from culture jam. All the texts spoke well together and made us all think about what is important to us. That is why this class is so special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this class as well. I found myself learning more from this class then probably any other class I've taken this semester. I also thought Hunger Games was a really good book, it was one of my favorites. The books that Dr. Mortimore had us read helped open my eyes to some of the problems that are around today. Culture Jam showed me how much people are obsessed with technology that it's scary sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a good class and nice to have a different way of teaching compared to all the other classes. Carson you didn't like Culture Jam? I didn't think it was bad, I found it interesting. I did like that we talked as a group and I enjoyed the group I got assigned to. Despite the fact that the blogs were kind of inconvenient they were good because it allowed us to express our thoughts. By reading eachother's blogs it allowed us to see things from other peoples views.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to agree 100 percent with Carson. It's nice to be able to take a class like this that revolves around discussion and opinions. I'm really glad that I took this class. But like you said Bret, I was afraid we would have to write and read a lot, but the thing is we read a decent amount and wrote a decent amount but with the combination of that we also got to discuss pretty much about everything we did in class which I thought was neat. I'm going to be able to think more critically about some of the things I read.

    ReplyDelete