Friday, April 1, 2011

To be entertained....

To be honest I really wasn’t looking forward to reading The Hunger Games that is why I put off so long to read it. I ended up reading it the two days before we had the quiz. I was really surprised at how great this book really was it held my attention the whole time.  I am not much of a reader, usually just when it is about sports especially when it is about the Phillies is when I read. The book was incredibly interesting and once I started reading it I couldn’t put it down. I found myself reading for 3 and 4 hours at a time. This book was surprisingly similar to the lottery where picking people to be sacrificed was such a normalcy. The shocking thing is that not 23 people are given up in The Hunger Games, not just 1 like in the lottery. It is really sad that people get entertained from watching people die on television. It is different when we watch movies, but in the Hunger Games people where dying in real life and people still got a kick out of watching it. I know I would not be able to sit back on my couch and watch something on tv where someone is actually dying. That is just unreal.

I didn’t know what to think for the 24 kids that where put into the games. I just couldn’t see myself in their shoes. The person I really looked out for in this book would have to be Katniss. She was my favorite character because I would do the same thing that she would have done to save her sisters. I have 5 younger brothers and sisters so I know what is like to feel very protective of them. I would sacrifice myself over them in a heartbeat.  I have the same type of responsibilities for my family like Katniss has for hers, maybe not to the extent of going out into the wild and grabbing food for breakfast, but making sure everyone eats their breakfast is more my job.

This book shares many similarities to the other book we read 1984. In both of these books the authors preach the point of watching over their people and keeping in complete control. The people in charge use scare tactics to get their people to cooperate with how they want their country ruled. Although Big Brother was not broadcasting the peoples’ lives, they were watching over their every move. In both books the people talk about different consequences for going against the rule of the government.

In the Running Man, a man is on a tv show where he is put through various tasks and has to survive. The thing of it is he is actually doing all of the stunts for real and could die. This goes hand and hand with the Hunger Games because the children are aired on tv and have to try and stay alive infront of every one watching.


3 comments:

  1. This movie shares a lot of similarities with the ancient gladiator games of ancient Rome. Slaves who were captured in war and criminals were forced to fight to death or overcome extreme obstacles for survival. I think the Running Man and the Hunger Games are modern gladiator games. I couldn't help but think about war when I read this book. People will do the most terrible things when they feel they have no other options. This is obvious when Katniss drops the Tracker Jacker nest on the Careers because they trapped her in a tree. That was her only way out and she ended up killing several tributes to escape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to disagree with you on saying you wouldn't sit back and watch the hunger games... I'm sure that if someone I knew was in it or someone from my family was I would be watching it so intensely. Granted yes it would be a weird thing to watch, but I'm sure I would watch it. I would sit back like everyone else in the district and watch kids fight to the death. And I'm sure have no problem with it, it's what they've grown up doing. It's exactly how it is in the lottery they kill a person every year but here they are watching other people kill each other for a game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was definately an easy read and very enjoyable. I have to agree with Brittany I would definately watch the hunger games but not for entertainment. I would watch the game because I would want to know if my loved one was surviving. I would also want to watch incase there was anything I could do to help. I also think these people in the book watch it and maybe for entertainment but it's all they know. It's probably as normal to them as it is for us to cook Thanksgiving dinner.

    ReplyDelete